New York Times Book Review
Simple yet soulful . . . Trent and Fallon’s unlikely friendship gives “Lost in the Sun” its heartbeat, and it showcases Graff’s originality and imagination as a writer.
Kirkus / STARRED review
★ Graff writes with stunning insight into boyhood and humanity . . . Investing Trent with all the tragic frailty of Holden Caulfield, Graff tackles issues of loss, isolation, and rage without apology. Graff consistently demonstrates why character-driven novels can live from generation to generation, and here she offers a story that can survive for many school years to come.
Publishers Weekly / STARRED review
★ In an ambitious and gracefully executed story, Graff covers a lot of emotional ground, empathically tracing Trent’s efforts to deal with a horrible, inexplicable accident and to heal the relationships that have become collateral damage along the way.
Booklist / STARRED review
★ The emotions and motivations coursing through this novel are wonderfully complex. Graff creates layered, vulnerable characters that are worth getting to know.
School Library Journal / STARRED review
★ Weighty matters deftly handled with humor and grace will give this book wide appeal.
Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books / STARRED review
★ Thoughtful . . . sensitive.
Gary D. Schmidt
Newbery Honor author of The Wednesday Wars and Okay for Now
This book will change you.
Seven months ago, a freak accident on Cedar Lake left one kid dead, and Trent Zimmerman with a brain full of thoughts he can’t shake. Even playing baseball doesn't make him happy anymore. It isn't until Trent gets caught up in the whirlwind that is Fallon Little—the girl with the mysterious scar across her face—that things begin to change. Because sometimes, like when a fly ball gets lost in the sun, you have to find a way to shift your position to get what you want.
- An Amazon Best Children's Book of the Year
- A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year
- A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
- A Junior Library Guild selection
- An ALA Notable Children's Book
- A Kids' Indie Next List selection
- L.A. Times's 30 Summer Books That Kids Will Gobble Up
- Louisiana Young Readers' Choice Award
- Michigan Great Lakes' Great Books
- Oregon Reader's Choice Award
- Tennessee Volunteer State Book Award
- Texas Great Mosquito List
- Texas Lone Star Reading List
- Vermont Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award